Suddenly homeschooling and working from home?
Phew, this is a tough one. With all the expectations and to-do's on our mom plates right now, it's the perfect storm for some major #momfail to seep into our heads. Let's not give in, friend.
Read on for 20 easy ways to ensure your kids are getting some degree of learning in while you get your work done. Most of these are free, a few involve products made in the USA by small businesses like ours, and yes, several involve screens and the internet. Because let's be realistic, here. Screens get us precious, distraction-free time.
Choose one to use during your work session today, and quickly prep a few more for the days to come.
20 WAYS TO KEEP KIDS LEARNING WHILE YOU WORK FROM HOME
1. Fast-finger Playdough challenges
2. Sight word flashcards
3. Use moveable alphabet letters to recreate the sight word flashcards from above
4. Play ABCya.com
5. Collect toys around the house for a rainbow scavenger hunt
6. Primitive map drawing (prep the simple symbol sheets in advance)
7. Stream PBS Kids live
8. Puzzles (we love these; made in Germany but high quality!)
9. Art class with this ColorMe wall decal (have kids explore the color wheel while choosing their colors)
10. Listen to NPR's Brains On podcast
11. Gather nature items from your backyard (and create nature shadow boxes with them later)
12. Phy ed class with GoNoodle video
14. Watch Sesame Street on YouTube
15. Take a virtual reality tour with Google's Expeditions App
16. Do a scavenger hunt with riddles
17. Listen to Big Life Journal's Podcast
18. Pasta math practice
19. Music class with New York Philharmonic KidZone
20. Smiling Tree Toys' animal alphabet coloring book